World Premiere: Scientists Fully Sequence the Human Genome

World Premiere: Scientists Fully Sequence the Human Genome
SHARE

Figuring out how the human genetic code works requires an unprecedented amount of teamwork. The human genome is way more complex than anything we could ever imagine, and that’s no figure of speech.

After a work that lasted for more than two decades, scientists have completely mapped the human genome, as TechSpot.com reveals.

A crucial scientific step

The new work of sequencing the entire human genome could have huge scientific implications in the future regarding health problems and aging. Scientists are also confident that their milestone will also open the path toward a deeper insight into how the human species evolved.

Here’s a more detailed explanation of the complete sequencing of the human genome, coming from the National Human Genome Research Institute:

The video’s description goes as follows:

When the Human Genome Project ended in 2003, researchers could only determine about 92% of our genetic code. Now, a global team of scientists, called the Telomere to Telomere Consortium, have put the remaining 8% into place. 

The same source further asks rhetorically:

Why was difficult to fully sequence the human genome?

If you watch the video, you can see how it is explained that the mind-boggling complexity of the human genome was a major hindrance in the scientists’ attempt to decipher it all.

For instance, if someone would print out all of the letters from the human genome in size 12 font, the whole thing would stretch for about 3000 kilometers. That’s about the same distance that separates Belarus from Portugal if you would travel to one of these countries from the other in a straight line.

Although the new scientific achievement is indeed a huge one, scientists still need to answer a tremendous amount of questions about the evolution and emergence of the human species.


SHARE
Cristian Antonescu

Even since he was a child, Cristian was staring curiously at the stars, wondering about the Universe and our place in it. Today he's seeing his dream come true by writing about the latest news in astronomy. Cristian is also glad to be covering health and other science topics, having significant experience in writing about such fields.

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.