A woman in Ohio got her arms partially amputated after letting her dog lick her arms.
Doctors think she got infected with Capnocytophaga bacteria, which is found in most healthy pets’ saliva after her dog might have licked a tiny scrape on her arm.
The woman first felt flu-like symptoms, so she went to lay on the couch. She woke up from a coma ten days later to find that bot of her arms had been partially amputated.
According to some sources, the doctors that cared for her struggled to keep her alive. They discovered that the bacteria caused her blood to clot in her arms and megs, killing the surrounding tissue, causing gangrene. After everything else failed, the only chance doctors had at saving her life was amputating both of her arms.
After conducting blood tests and cultures, it was confirmed that the infection was caused by the Capnocytophaga bacteria, which must have infiltrated her blood after the woman’s dog licked a small wound on her arm.
While a Capnocytophaga infection is quite rare in humans, the bacteria is very common in healthy cats and dogs. Three-quarters of all dogs have the bacteria in their saliva, but it does not cause them any harm. Cats also have the bacteria in their system, but they are less likely to infect humans.
The majority of people with strong immune systems will not be affected by Capnocytophaga bacteria. However, people with weak immune systems, older people, and people bitten by animals face a high risk of getting an infection.
The Capnocytophaga bacteria can also be contacted by humans through the mucous membranes, like your eyes, nose, or mouth, which is why dogs should not lick your face. The symptoms of the infection can trick you very easily, as they are similar to those of the flu. A few examples are blisters, fever, confusion, vomiting, and muscle pain. Symptoms can be noticed anywhere from 1 to 14 days after exposure.