The Chicago Department of Public Health has released a statement in which it said that four people got ill after they have eaten pork tamales and carnitas from the deli section at Sun View Produce. Right now, they are investigating a potential outbreak of salmonella at a Southwest Side grocery store.
At least four people got sick. The department said that anyone who had bought carnitas, pork tamales or any other hot food from the deli section since the 1st of July should throw the food away. The department also warns that anyone who ate food from there between the 1st of July and the 5th of August may have been exposed to salmonella. They suggest that these people should get medical attention if they experience high fever, diarrhea, or dehydration.
The items have not been available at the store since the 5th of August. The department then said that there are no pieces of evidence that the food that the store got after the 5th of August was contaminated.
What is salmonella, and how dangerous is it?
Salmonella is a type of bacteria that can be found on meat. It is worth mentioning that it can be spread if people don’t wash their hands before dealing with the food.
Janna Kerins, from the Chicago Health Department. Cooking the food at the right temperature would kill the bacteria.
The symptoms usually last for four to seven days, and most people don’t need treatment to undergo a fully recover.
ABC 7 tried to get in contact with the grocery owners on Saturday, but the store was closed. There was a sign on the door which said that there was no meat service being provided for the customers.