A particularly dangerous type of mushroom has been spotted zones around Victoria, prompting authorities to issue a general warming for the population to be careful. The mushroom, called death caps usually appear in the fall. Several mushrooms have been spotted in varied zones along the Vancouver Island.
According to Island Health officials, intensive lawn watering may have led to the early fruiting of the early fruiting of the dangerous mushrooms, as the increased humidity may be similar to that encountered during the fall rainy season. The mushroom themselves have small white gills and a smooth cap that may be yellow, white or green.
Death caps are not native to Canada, reaching the island via imported trees such as beech, chestnut and English oak. It was reported that they have been recently found among local species, having most likely adapted to the new environmental condition.
What makes death cap particularly dangerous is the fact that they can be easily confused with edible mushrooms, the most similar being the paddy-straw and puffballs. The toxin they contain is also very powerful, causing severe complications if ingested. Among the most lethal symptoms we can find liver and kidney failure, and toxic shock syndrome. In as many as 30% of the cases, if left untreated, the toxin will prove to be lethal. According to Dr. Richard Stanwick, Chief Medical Officer of the island, that caps are most often found in rural areas and are particularly dangerous for toddlers and pets. The main concern is for people with limited knowledge that may mistakenly pick up the mushrooms and eat them, as takes a trained eye to differentiate between what is or is not a safe mushroom.
Local authorities encourage all citizens that feel unwell after 24 since the firs symptoms appeared to see medical help, before complications occurs.