Dental health requires regular visits to the dentist. However, many people are not aware of the benefits of cosmetic dentistry, thinking it’s just for aesthetic purposes. The truth is you can prevent serious dental problems with cosmetic dentistry. More than a beautiful smile, cosmetic dentistry does more wonders than you can probably imagine.
Below are the benefits of cosmetic dentistry.
Improve Your Bite
A perfect bite should have the upper teeth perfectly aligned or fit over the lower teeth. However, many people don’t realize they have a malocclusion or bad bite. This dental condition is something a cosmetic dentist, like Ostrem Dental Plymouth, MN, can correct. Also, a well-aligned mouth is easier to clean.
Mild to moderate malocclusion or bite issues can be corrected through the following:
- Tooth reshaping: If your teeth are slightly aligned, tooth reshaping is usually recommended to achieve perfectly aligned teeth. Reshaping irregularly shaped teeth is done to distribute the pressure placed on your teeth.
- Orthodontics: It’s a common way of treating a malocclusion. Retainers and braces can help reposition the jaws and teeth to improve your bite.
- Night Guard: It prevents wear and tears on teeth, which is usually recommended for those who grind their teeth at night. It also reduces the risk of a TMJ disorder.
Improve Your Smile
Adults face age-related changes when it comes to teeth and gums, creating a less youthful-looking smile. With cosmetic dentistry, you can improve your smile with different treatment options available, from whitening your teeth to replacing lost teeth.
Here are the most common cosmetic dental procedures to help improve your smile:
- Teeth Whitening: A cosmetic dentist is the best person to perform a teeth whitening procedure, more especially laser teeth whitening. A bleaching agent is applied to the teeth, activating it with ultraviolet light. There’s nothing more effective as professional teeth whitening.
- Veneers: These dental appliances are custom-made porcelain or plastic moldings covering your decayed teeth, which last 10 to 15 years.
- Bonding: It’s the most inexpensive and quickest way to fill in chips or cracks in teeth, and hardened with the help of a UV light or laser.
- Crowns: Crowns are made of enamel, resin, porcelain, or porcelain fused to a metal, which is attached following a root canal to protect whatever is left in your original tooth. Braces: The newest trend nowadays is invisible ceramic braces you can wear with veneers.
Improve Your Quality of Life
Cosmetic dentistry can improve a person’s quality of life, most especially those who have missing or damaged teeth. While you can always wear dentures, they tend to loosen over time and maintenance can be a hassle. Instead of wearing and maintaining dentures, you can take advantage of a more permanent solution to missing teeth with dental implants.
A dental implant is a cosmetic procedure wherein a cosmetic surgeon places a metal post into the jaw bone where the new teeth will be placed. It’s a lengthy process, but the results are very rewarding. You’ll feel like you have natural teeth and eliminates the need to use and clean dentures.
Now you can enjoy eating any kind of food after your cosmetic dental procedure. But of course, it’s still better to stay away from sweets to avoid hurting your teeth and gums again. Nevertheless, you can start eating a juicy steak again without causing damage to your teeth.
Improve Your Health
Periodontal disease usually results in the infection of the dental structures that surround the teeth. Infection may include the gums, alveolar bone, and periodontal ligament. Gingivitis or inflamed gums are usually evident in periodontal disease. If periodontal disease is not treated, it may result in tooth loss, teeth migration, exposure of tooth root, tooth abscesses, oral cancer, and pregnancy complications.
Periodontal disease is also associated with a lot of medical conditions, such as respiratory disorders, heart disease, and diabetes. A cosmetic dentist can perform gum surgery to remove scarred gum tissue due to periodontal disease. The cosmetic surgeon reshapes the gums and used tissue taken from the palate.
Improve Your Career
Having a beautiful smile helps you improve your career. After seeking help from a cosmetic dentist, you won’t hold yourself back or get embarrassed when you smile. Cosmetic dentistry helps a person gain confidence in removing stains and addressing imperfections.
Cosmetic dentistry is a vital aspect of dental health. With the help of a cosmetic dentist, you’ll achieve perfectly aligned teeth, a beautiful smile, and healthy oral health and overall health.
Don’t neglect what cosmetic dentistry can offer you because more than the beautiful smile, you’ll have a better quality of life, self-confidence, and a better career.