Greg Manteufel, from Wisconsin, had his legs and arms amputated after he contracted a rare bacterial infection from a dog’s saliva. According to the doctors, the man contracted Capnocytophaga Canimorsus, a type of bacteria that is usually found in saliva in humans, dogs, and cats. However, Manteufel’s case is a rare one, and, unluckily, the man lost his limbs due to the bacteria.
As reported in the GoFundMe page set up for him, Greg Manteufel has been around eight dogs before feeling sick on July 27th and going into septic shock.
Within days after his hospitalization, the doctors had to amputee the man’s legs through to the kneecaps. Later, as the Capnocytophaga Canimorsus bacteria continued to spread, the specialists decided to amputee Manteufel’s arms, as well.
Besides, the bacterial infection also affected other parts of Manteufel’s body, including his nose which requires plastic surgery to be recovered.
The bacteria that caused Manteufel to lost his limbs, Capnocytophaga Canimorsus, is common in dog’s saliva, as well as in humans’ and cats’ saliva
Doctors told Manteufel’s wife that what the man caught is quite rare and is a “crazy fluke,” but now the man’s family has yet another issue to take care of, as they don’t know which dog is carrying the dangerous bacteria because Manteufel has been around eight dogs lately, including his own.
As for the Capnocytophaga Canimorsus bacteria, this one is rarely causing such severe infections when contracted through saliva and without getting bitten by a carrier.
However, these bacteria are commonly residing in dog’s saliva, humans mouths, and cat’s saliva, as well. Statistically, about 75% of the dogs carry this microorganism, while only 57% of cats are carriers.
“These bacteria cause opportunistic infections, which means they have to have the right conditions to cause an infection, such as in a person with a weakened immune system. People with weakened immune systems include, for example, those who drink alcohol excessively, who have had their spleens removed, and who have HIV infection or cancer,” according to the CDC.