6 Common Allergens Lurking in Your Home

6 Common Allergens Lurking in Your Home

Over the years there’s been an increase in those that suffer from allergies, or at least an increase in awareness of the allergies. Perhaps in years gone by we just put it down the minor symptoms to a runny nose, upset tummy or rash. These days, most of us are aware of the allergies that can be triggered outdoors but we’re not always aware how many allergens may be lurking in our homes. Most of us consider our homes to be clean however, that doesn’t mean they are safe for severe allergy sufferers.

There are many allergy triggers in the average home and they will affect different people differently. Below we detail seven common allergens which is a great starting point when trying to eliminate the risk of allergies. However, your family needs and circumstances may be quite different.


Flooring particularly carpets, are often what cause an allergic reaction. They can gather dust, dust-mites, pollen, pet hair and chemicals that are often hazardous to young children who spend time playing on the floors. These allergens can also settle on other soft furnishings such as bedding, cloth couches or drapes however it’s the floor that will gather the most of these particles since they tend to fall to the lowest places over time. For any flooring, particularly carpets, you should use a vacuum with a HEPA filter to help reduce the particles being stirred up into the air. Regularly vacuuming will help keep your floors in a healthy condition. For severe allergy sufferers you may choose to replace carpets in your home for hard flooring. The team at Peninsula Flooring Direct are experts in the field and recommend Hybrid Waterproof Flooring for allergy sufferers since it’s easy to vacuum and followed up with mopping to thoroughly remove the allergens.


Dust and dust mites are common allergens that often cause asthma symptoms. Cleaning surfaces regularly can obviously remove most of the dust and dust mites, reducing the dangers of an asthma attack or other allergic reactions. Just be mindful what cleaning products you use to remove the dust. Many cleaning products contain chemicals that could trigger allergies. You may need to carefully experiment with various cleaning products to find out what works best for your family.


Along with cleaning products, there are many chemicals found in homes that can trigger allergies. It’s not just the surfaces that chemicals are used on that can be a problem. Chemicals can remain in the air long after they are used. The breathing in of these particles is the issue for many allergy sufferers. Chemicals often cause an itchy nose or itchy, watery eyes. Beauty products such as hairspray or perfume are often the culprits. Again, it might be trial and error to find out what chemicals you should discontinue using in your home.


Pets are probably the most common and obvious issue for allergy sufferers. If you or a family member are severely allergic to your pets you may need to remove them from inside your home. It can be an emotional and challenging issue to face as a family. Some pets will be more suitable to outdoor spaces than others, in fact some pets may enjoy the outdoors more than inside the home. In any case, it’s often a difficult decision to make as a family.

Creepy Crawlies

Insects such as cockroaches or dust-mites are a common trigger for allergies lurking in many homes. Depending on where you live, the insects may be different but the results are likely to be the same. It’s not usually the insect that’s the problem, it’s the faeces they leave behind that trigger allergies. Minimising the ability for creepy crawlies from entering your home is a great start. Seal any gaps or cracks in your home and make sure your food is well sealed so the scent doesn’t attract creepy crawlies. Of course, thorough cleaning with suitable cleaning products will help reduce any of these allergens left behind by insects.


Mold is a common issue in homes that can have serious health effects on your family. One of the common issues is allergic reactions. Mold tends to gather in damp places so leaving a wet sponge or damp towel out too long can grow mold. You may not be able to see it but it may be enough to create an allergic reaction. Mold is often found in wet areas such as your bath or the edges of your shower. Bleach is a quick and easy way to remove mold however it can also be a chemical that causes allergies so make sure to use proper protection such as rubber gloves, ventilation and wash off any residue when completing the clean.

We hope this article has been a great starting point for reducing the allergens in your home, as mentioned every family is different so we recommend seeking proper medical advice according to your circumstances. You may find more useful information at the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.


Anna is an avid blogger with an educational background in medicine and mental health. She is a generalist with many other interests including nutrition, women's health, astronomy and photography. In her free time from work and writing, Anna enjoys nature walks, reading, and listening to jazz and classical music.

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.