Meningitis develops when a certain virus or bacteria penetrates the meninges, a set of protective layers that enclose and protect the central nervous system (CNS). It’s known to be one of the deadliest brain diseases that may occur to people of all ages.
One known cause is the meningococcus bacteria. It damages your brain and spinal cord, leading to severe cognitive problems and neuromuscular conditions. Thus, misdiagnosis or late detection may result in long-term adverse effects or even death.
Vaccines against meningitis are highly encouraged to prevent its development or lessen the complications if acquired. Only qualified health care workers (HCWs) are allowed to administer these vaccines. In case you experience meningococcal vaccine side effects, seek medical attention immediately.
Advancements in medicine have paved the way for new treatments to treat meningitis effectively—from oral medications to intravenous anti-bacterial or anti-viral vials. These medical interventions work round the clock in your body to fight off the origin of infection and the affected areas. You’ll be back to your everyday life in no time.
Just like the story of Chloe Clark, a 10-year old girl from Alabama, recovers from meningitis that resulted from a face injury the girl obtained upon a weird accident she had at home.
A sheet of plywood hit Chloe’s face
The family’s nightmare started when Chloe’s father, Jared, was working on the house’s roof he was planning to move in with his family. Accidentally, Jared dropped a sheet of plywood from the roof which hit Chloe over her face in its fall, before plummeting into the ground. The father was shocked and stunned as he knew that Chloe was playing on the other side of the house.
Chloe was taken to the closest hospital, Madison Hospital, where she was treated for the injury. Doctors there recommended the family to go to Birmingham or Nashville, TN, for a cosmetical surgery, as soon as possible.
The family went to Nashville, TN, for Chloe’s cosmetic surgery
In the same day, the family went to the Vanderbilt Children’s Hospital in Nashville.
The next day, Chloe woke up in pain putting her hands on the back of her neck. Soon after the first manifestations of pain, she fell into a coma. Doctors explained that the little girl contracted meningitis due to the hit because small pieces of bone punctured the brain’s protective layer, letting the bacteria from the sinuses to get to the brain.
In the cases of head injuries, meningitis is a very common complication, according to the CDC, and may be life-threatening.
Chloe was put on a ventilator to be stabilized as the doctors were fearing for her life because the little girl’s brain’s pressure was increasing.
The Chloe’s case traveled around the world
Fearing they’ll lose their daughter, Chloe’s parents started to publish posts on Facebook presenting Chloe’s situation and asking spiritual support from friends and family. But the posts have gone viral as people from Spain, Kenya, Mexico, and Japan were touched by the girl’s condition and included her in their prayers.
God’s work, or not, Chloe showed a better health condition as she started to respond to stimuli only one day after she has been connected to the ventilator. One week after that she was completely recovered.
However, the parents are now in the seventh heaven as their 10-year old girl recovered from deadly meningitis.