An 18-year-old has complained of seizures in an Indian hospital. It turned out that the teen actually had a parasite in his brain, as per a case study that was published on Tuesday in the Journal of Medicine, in New England. More specifically, a tapeworm larvae infestation in the brain caused the death of the young man.
Dr. S. Zafar Abbas and Dr. Nishanth Dev from the ESIC Medical College and Hospital in Faridabad has said that the patient, who came into the ER with swelling at his right eye, also complained of tonic-clonic seizures. This kind of seizures is also known as “grand mal” seizures, which are neural disturbances that are known to cause stiffened muscles and, sometimes, loss of consciousness.
His parents stated that their son had been in pain in his right groin for about a week. After a physical exam, it’s been shown that he had tenderness in the right testis and that he presented signs of confusion.
Tapeworm Larvae Infestation in the Brain Was The Cause Of Death
In order to find out more, doctors performed an MRI exam. Then, they saw the damage caused by cysts in the teen’s cerebral cortex and the brain stem, including the cerebellum.
The diagnosis was neurocysticercosis, which is a parasitic disease of the brain that appears when someone swallows tapeworm eggs. The larvae came out of the eggs right into the muscle and into the brain tissues, where they formed the cysts. Doctors have also found cysts in the right eye and the right testis of the patient.
Due to the location and the number of cysts, the doctors have decided to go against treating the teen with antiparasitic meds. These meds can worsen the brain bleeding and the inflammation. They can also cause a loss of vision. Instead of these meds, he was given an anti-inflammatory drug, called dexamethasone, and antiepileptic medications. Two weeks after the arrival at the hospital, the teen died.