Some people might be surprised to find out that grapes are good for their health. While they are mostly know for being delicious snacks, they have some surprising benefits.
Grapes are a good source of vitamins and minerals. They contain:
- Vitamin A: Grapes contain beta-carotene, which is converted to vitamin A in the body.
- Vitamin C: This antioxidant helps protect cells from free-radical damage.
Folic acid, or folate: This B vitamin is important for cell growth and repair, and may help reduce the risk of birth defects when taken by women before conception and during early pregnancy. Folate may also lower blood levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that has been linked with heart disease.
- Potassium: Grapes can help lower blood pressure by reducing sodium levels in the body.
- Fiber: Grapes contain a type of soluble fiber that can help lower cholesterol levels in the blood and may also reduce your risk of heart disease.
- Flavonoids: These antioxidants have been shown to have anti-cancer activity in laboratory studies.
- Grapes are low in calories and contain no fat or cholesterol, so they’re a healthy snacking option. In addition, grapes have been shown to improve blood vessel function, especially in people with diabetes.
Grapes are an excellent source of soluble and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber helps to lower cholesterol levels, and insoluble fiber helps to keep the digestive system healthy. Grapes also contain antioxidants such as flavonoids, which protect against cancer and heart disease. Grapes can help to lower blood pressure by increasing nitric oxide production. Grapes contain the antioxidant resveratrol, which has been shown to lower the risk of heart disease and cancer and may also help to prevent Alzheimer’s disease and osteoporosis. Grapes can help to lower blood pressure by increasing nitric oxide production, which causes the blood vessels to relax, thereby reducing blood pressure. The antioxidants in grapes have been shown to protect against heart disease and cancer as well as reduce inflammation. Grape seed extract is also a well-known skin treatment as it contains anthocyanins, which have been proven effective in preventing skin cancer.