The Department Of Health in Rhode Island investigates 36 allergy cases in students who ate fresh kiwi fruits provided via the vegetables and fruits program conducted by the US Department of Agriculture.
The kiwi fruits caused allergic reactions in students
Itching, swollen tongue, and rashes were just some of the symptoms presented by 36 students from Rhode Island after eating the kiwi fruits provided via the vegetables and fruits program conducted by the US Department of Agriculture.
Some of the students were in serious condition and needed medical treatment at the hospital, while others were treated by their school’s doctors with antihistamines.
The culprit fruits were cultivated in New Greenwich by Roch’s Fresh Foods.
Kiwi is a very nutritious fruit
The kiwi fruit is rich in nutrients. It contains very large amounts of potassium and more Vitamin C than any other fruit. Besides, kiwi fruit is also rich in Vitamin A, Vitamin E, alpha-linolenic acid, Vitamins B1, B3, B9, Calcium, Magnesium, Manganese, Zinc, and Copper.
Kiwi is also very rich in beta-carotene and lutein, being beneficial for eyes health, in special. A study has even shown that regular consumption of kiwi reduces macular degeneration by 40%.
According to a study conducted by the researchers at the University of Southampton, kiwi fruit can be a serious food allergen, causing an allergic reaction by triggering an immune response that resembles the response some people have to latex.
The studies conducted by the researchers have shown that children are particularly susceptible to developing a kiwi allergy, and the symptoms may be severe.
The first symptoms of kiwi fruit allergy include reddish rashes, dense nasal discharge, swelling of the tongue, and cough. In severe cases of allergic reactions to kiwi angioedema and even the possible lethal anaphylaxis shock may occur.
It has been observed that people who present allergies to latex, pineapple, papaya, olives, peanuts, and vegetables rich in vitamin C will also have allergic reactions to kiwi.