Bone broth is a nutritious, easy to make food that has a lot of beauty and health benefits. You’ve probably seen bone broth on food blogs and read about it in health magazines. It’s become a hot topic, especially in the health and wellness world. The reason for that is that bone broth is believed to have nutrients that support our health. Here are some of its benefits:
1. Provides essential nutrients. The collagen found in bone broth can help support your skin and joints. It can also improve hair and nail growth by providing your body with the building blocks for healthy hair, nails, teeth and bones.
2. Improves digestion. Bone broth contains gelatin which helps to repair your gut lining. This can help with the leaky gut syndrome and other digestive issues.
3. Increases energy levels. Bone broth is high in glycine which aids your body’s detoxification process, boosts immunity, improves sleep quality, and even improves metabolism. Glycine also supports the production of glutathione, an antioxidant that helps protect cells from free radical damage, improving your overall health.
4. Supports proper weight loss. The gelatin in bone broth is filling and can help reduce appetite cravings so you don’t overeat during the day. Gelatin acts as a natural appetite suppressant as well as helping to balance blood sugar levels in your body which prevents energy dips throughout the day that lead to binging on sugary foods or snacking when you’re hungry but not really hungry at all.
5. Can strengthen your bones and joints by providing essential proteins, minerals and vitamins necessary for maintaining strong bones, muscles and connective tissue.
What is bone broth?
Bone broth — sometimes called stock — is created by simmering animal bones in water for several hours. The slow cooking process releases minerals and gelatin from the bones, which add nutritional content to the broth and give it a rich flavor.