Migraine headaches are one of the most frequent causes of intense, recurring pain in one area of the head. People who have migraine attacks will often say that the pain is throbbing or pulsating and may be located on the sides of the head. It can lead to nausea, vomiting and sensitivity to light and sound. Normally, they last from four to 72 hours if untreated. But if you want to get rid of these miserable headaches, here are some effective tips that can help you out.
- Drink plenty of water: Dehydration can cause migraine headaches, so it is important to drink plenty of water throughout the day. Also avoid caffeinated drinks as they tend to dehydrate you further.
- Apply a hot or cold compress: The application of heat or cold to your head and neck can help with your pain, especially when the migraine is accompanied by muscle tension. Try alternating between a heating pad and an ice pack.
- Avoid certain foods: Avoid food items such as cheese, chocolate, processed foods, salty foods, red wine, beer and citrus fruits as they are known to trigger migraines.
- Get enough sleep: Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep everyday because poor sleep contributes to the development of migraine headaches.
- Rest in a dark room: Bright lights, noise, and odors can worsen migraine pain. Try to rest in a quiet and dark place until the symptoms subside.
- Manage stress: Try relaxation techniques such as yoga or meditation to help manage stress. Regular aerobic exercise also helps reduce stress as well as improve sleep quality.
- Keep a headache diary: Maintain a headache diary to help pinpoint what triggers your migraines. Avoid those factors or other triggers that you have identified through your diary.
- Place pressure on the painful area: Apply gentle pressure to the painful area and massage it gently can help you relax as well as provide relief from pain.