Raul Reyes, a 26-year-old teacher from Houston, Texas, lost his leg due to flesh-eating bacteria infection. Doctors had no other choice than cutting off the man’s right foot after the flesh-eating bacteria seriously damaged the foot’s tissues and muscles.
Raul Reyes went to a local clinic to get professional treatment for what he considered to be a simple blister he got after a mild injury. However, doctors were surprised to see that the man was suffering from flesh-eating bacteria that have already affected Raul’s right foot’s skin tissues and muscles, according to Houston Chronicle.
“The blister was covering his entire foot,” Raul’s wife declared
Having his right foot amputated is just the perfect outcome for Raul because his situation could’ve got even harsher if he wouldn’t have sought medical care, according to the man’s spouse.
“I think about it every day – every day he’s been here in the hospital. I think about how I could have lost him,” admitted Raul’s wife, Joseline.
The medical staff who treated Raul believes the man contracted the flesh-eating bacteria due to a toenail but the doctors are not really positive about the exact chain of events that led to contracting a flesh-eating bacteria, which are quite rare.
Raul’s family and close friends have created a GoFundMe page trying to raise the necessary funds to buy Raul a prosthetic foot.
About flesh-eating bacteria infection
Beaches and seawater a the most usual places from where people can contract the flesh-eating bacteria, according to specialists. Even though the flesh-eating bacteria are rare, cases are reported almost monthly.
For example, in September 2017, during Hurricane Harvey, a rescuer got a flesh-eating bacteria. Just one month later, in October 2017, a woman from Texas died because of flesh-eating bacteria after eating approximately 12 raw oysters during a banquet.
The majority of the infections with flesh-eating bacteria occurs from May to October.
The typical flesh-eating bacteria symptoms are:
Unfortunately, a serious flesh-eating bacteria infection can cause the death of the patient.