There’s a person in New Mexico that’s suspected of dying from an overdose of ivermectin. There’s also a second person that’s in critical condition after using the drug. This is an antiparasitic medication used in veterinary medicine in order to get rid of worms in animals. It is mainly used in cattle and horses.
If ivermectin is confirmed to be the reason for the death, then this would be New Mexico’s first fatal ivermectin overdose. Many people believe that it is good for treating COVID-19, so there has been a sharp rise in use since 2020. There is not enough clinical data showing that ivermectin can treat or prevent COVID-19. The FDA and many, many other medical experts do not recommend the use of ivermectin against COVID-19. The drug can be life-threatening for humans.
This investigation could take weeks, and officials are firm in letting people know they could die because of ivermectin.
What could be some symptoms of ivermectin?
Used in low doses, ivermectin can be used for humans in treating some parasitic infections, like intestinal worms and external parasites, like head lice. But it could have some serious side effects, like skin rashes, vomiting, nausea, stomach pain, and facial or limb swelling.
There is a surge in COVID-10 cases, and many people started taking ivermectin, more than before, at the beginning of the pandemic. An ivermectin overdose can be fatal, or it can cause neurological problems, seizures, or comas.
Animal supply stores and farm stores across the country have shown an increased demand for ivermectin, and some even be left with empty shelves. Back in August, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention showed a five-fold increase in calls in poison control centers after ivermectin use.