The bubonic plague of the 21st century has taken the life of a Mongolian couple, and as a result, 118 people (including some tourists coming from different countries) were quarantined by the Mongolian government for a period of six days. However, they were all liberated afterward.
Mongolian couple died of bubonic plague after eating marmot meat
The disease that the couple caught came from a raw marmot kidney that they ate, according to USA Today who specified that a marmot is a burrowing type of rodent.
According to Agence France-Presse, Mongolian people think that raw rodent meat has health benefits, but they have been warned several times by authorities that animals can be carriers of the bacteria that causes the plague, Yersinia pestis.
The agency also specified that after eating raw marmot at least one person in the country ends up dead annually because of the plague.
How can you contract the bubonic plague nowadays?
The fleas that are on animals can be the transmitters of the plague to the humans and if they do not seek professional help and they do not treat the disease, according to the BBC, the fatality rate is of 30% to 60%.
On the first of May, the couple we mentioned above died, so any person that had come in contact with them were imposed the quarantine by the county. Part of that, there were seven tourists coming from Sweden, South Korea, Kazakhstan, and Switzerland.
In an interview for the BBC, Ariuntuya Ochirpurev of the World Health Organisation in Ulaanbaatar said that antibiotics were used as a preventative for all the quarantined people. Aipiin Gilimkhaan, the local governor, had also confirmed to AFP that since Monday when the quarantine was lifted no other people were suspected of suffering from the bubonic plague in that area.