Brain health is a popular topic these days, as more and more studies point to the importance of brain health in overall well-being. Let’s take a look at some vitamins that can support your brain, or prevent brain-related issues.
- Vitamin B: B vitamins are important for cognitive function and mood regulation, among many other roles. In particular, vitamin B6 may help protect the aging brain from cognitive decline.
- Selenium: A mineral that helps the brain to function optimally, selenium may also help to protect the brain against peroxidation and oxidative stress. Liver, garlic, eggs, and Brazil nuts are rich in selenium.
- Vitamin E: This vitamin protects the cell membranes and cell structure of the brain. It is a strong antioxidant that helps to prevent lipid peroxidation (destruction of lipids) in the cell membranes by inhibiting free radicals from damaging the cells. Almonds, sunflower seeds, avocado, broccoli, olives and olive oil contain high amounts of vitamin E.
- Coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10): An antioxidant found naturally in every cell in our bodies, CoQ10 is concentrated in the mitochondria of cellular energy factories where it supports energy production and helps protect against oxidative damage from free radicals. In addition to being an essential component of cellular metabolism for generating energy necessary for life, CoQ10 also helps provide powerful support for cardiovascular function by helping to maintain healthy blood pressure levels already within normal range. The human body naturally produces CoQ10 but its production declines dramatically with age.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D supports a healthy metabolism and helps the body to absorb calcium for strong bones. It’s also important for regulating mood and protecting brain health as we age. The best source of vitamin D is from the sun — 20 minutes a day is enough for most people to get their daily dose of this nutrient. If you live in a northern climate where sunlight is limited in winter months, you may need to take a supplement so your body can get enough vitamin D throughout the year.