We should never consume leftover food without being extra cautious, and a new tragic event proves it once again. Consuming such food from a restaurant represented the cause of infection with a bacteria that led to extremely dangerous sepsis and gangrene in a US student. As a result, the person had to undergo amputation for both his legs and fingers only hours after consuming the food, as NDTV.com reveals.
The student in question is a man of just 19 years old, and he was admitted to the Massachusets General Hospital’s pediatric intensive care unit (PICU). He is identified only as JC by the New England Journal of Medicine. The man went through a series of blood and urine tests that revealed that he had to deal with the bacterial infection known as Neisseria meningitidis. The young man was a worker at the restaurant where the awful incident occurred, according to The New York Post.
The journal describes the horrors that the young patient has been through:
The patient had been well until 20 hours before this admission, when diffuse abdominal pain and nausea developed after he ate rice, chicken, and lo mein leftovers from a restaurant meal. Multiple episodes of emesis occurred, with vomitus that was either bilious or red-brown. The abdominal pain and vomiting were followed by the development of chills, generalized weakness, progressively worsening diffuse myalgias, chest pain, shortness of breath, headache, neck stiffness, and blurry vision. Five hours before this admission, purplish discoloration of the skin developed, and a friend took the patient to the emergency department of another hospital for evaluation.
The tragic event occurred last year in March, and it reminds us all once again about the importance of being extra careful with what we eat. Hopefully, knowing about cases like this will save many lives in the future.