Young Boy Nearly Dies after Mother Treats His Chicken Pox Symptoms with OTC Medication

Young Boy Nearly Dies after Mother Treats His Chicken Pox Symptoms with OTC Medication
SHARE

Never give your child ibuprofen to alleviate chicken pox symptoms! This is the warning a British mom by the name of Verity is sharing with the world.
After all, she used this over-the-counter medication to help her son, Tommy, when he developed chicken pox and he unfortunately almost died as a result!
The worried mother took to her Facebook to share the story, telling her followers and friends that she ended up taking Tommy to the hospital when his temperature became really high and he was no longer able to keep food or fluids down.
“A male nurse told me that to help with his temperature he could have some ibuprofen and calpol together. I questioned it and he told me that it was an ‘old wives’ tale’ and you should not believe everything that you see online. He also said that ‘in all his time working in a hospital he has never seen ibuprofen react to chicken pox.’ A few hours went by as we waited for doctors to give us a 24 hour pass and I then noticed a mark on Tommy’s belly. I showed it to the nurse and he told me that it was nothing, and could be just another chicken pox forming. We left the hospital,” Verity wrote along images of her son’s chicken pox.
She went on to share that by 6 AM the next morning, her son had developed a bruise on his stomach that started turning black only 2 hours later.
“I called my doctor and he saw us right away. He confirmed that he was infected and drew around all the marks to see if it spread. It did, and by 4 PM his entire belly was swollen, black and blue.”
The boy received an intense amount of fluids and antibiotics and the medical experts made it very clear that he should’ve never been given ibuprofen and that only one more dose of it could have killed him.
Verity’s post was shared by CPR Kids. They stressed that while Tommy’s reaction to the over the counter medication is quite rare, it’s still not something that should be taken lightly since it can lead to the necrosis of soft tissue.
The organization says it’s “a serious, life-threatening condition that requires immediate treatment to keep it from destroying skin, muscle, and other soft tissues. These infections can progress rapidly if they’re not aggressively treated.”


SHARE

Katherine is just getting her start as a journalist. She attended a technical school while still in high school where she learned a variety of skills, from photography to nutrition. Her enthusiasm for both natural and human sciences is real so she particularly enjoys covering topics on medicine and the environment.

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.