Antibiotic metronidazole vaginal gel is utilized in the treatment of bacterial vaginal infections that include bacterial vaginosis with the goal of restoring normal vaginal function. We are all aware of how unpleasant these illnesses can be, right?! The thing with metronidazole is that it is part of a family of medications known as metronidazole antimicrobials, and it accomplishes its purpose by inhibiting the development of bacteria. Metronidazole gel is not the sole treatment option for BV; other options include using Metronidazole tablets or Cleocin. It is in your best interest to address any health concerns that you may have with your doctor. In this manner, you will receive the appropriate therapy and care!
Facts You Should Know About Metronidazole
It is essential to take the metronidazole gel precisely as prescribed by your doctor. The gel packaged in 70g at a concentration of 0.75 percent is used topically in order to treat bacterial infections of the vagina. In most cases, the therapy will continue for around five days; however, your dose and the treatment length will rely on the severity of your disease as well as the particular brand of metronidazole gel that you are utilizing.
In order to guarantee proper usage, follow these steps:
- Before touching the gel, be sure that you have thoroughly washed your hands.
- To apply the gel in the correct quantity, fill the applicator that was given.
- While you are resting on your back with your knees bent and in a comfortable position.
- You should make sure the applicator is held correctly in your whole hand, and you should press the plunger softly as you get it close to your vagina.
- Push the instrument into the vagina in a gentle manner.
- Simply pushing the plunger will allow the gel to be dispensed into the vaginal canal.
- Take out the applicator and dispose of it in the proper manner.
- You should only use each applicator once before throwing it away.
- After applying, you should wash your hands one more.
- Rinse your eyes and face thoroughly with water if you come into any contact with the substance.
After one or two days of beginning medication, you should observe a discernible improvement in your symptoms. It is essential to finish the whole course of medication, regardless of whether symptoms improve before the end of the prescribed time.
Is There Any Risk Associated With Taking Metronidazole?
Metronidazole vaginal gel is typically well tolerated; nonetheless, it has the potential to induce a number of adverse effects, but that’s the case with most drugs. The side effects include the following:
- Symptoms of skin irritation and burning at the point of application
- Discomfort or irritation felt in the vaginal region
- Redness of the skin at the application spot
- Numbness or more like a tingling sensation in the extremities, especially the hands and feet
- Infection of the Upper Respiratory Tract (URTI)
- Symptoms of abnormal vaginal discharge
If you have any worries about your health, please consult a specialist as soon as possible!