You might be feeling burned out. Maybe your workload is high, maybe you’re working long hours, or maybe you’re being physically or emotionally abused. Maybe you just feel exhausted or frustrated. You may feel like you can’t do anything right, or that you can’t trust yourself. Burnout is a very real thing.
- Here are a few signs you might be burned out:
- You’re more exhausted than you feel you should be. If you’re exhausted, it’s usually because you haven’t taken time for yourself.
- You can’t remember the last time you felt truly happy.
- You’ve lost interest in activities you used to love.
- You’re not doing the things you used to love.
- You feel stuck, as though you’re being held back by things that are out of your control.
- You’re having trouble sleeping.
- You feel resentful or have a negative outlook.
- Your relationships are suffering
- .You worry about work constantly, even when it’s not related to what you’re doing.
- You’re always late or always forget things.
- You’re constantly thinking about work.
There is a problem when we can’t change what we’re being asked to do, or when we feel we have no control over it. And in situations like this, our natural response is to retreat. To shut down, to run away. But this isn’t the answer. There are multiple methods to control your burnout.
When we regulate our emotions, we’re able to act differently than we usually do, even when we’re stressed. How? Self-regulation is the ability to control our emotions by regulating our own behavior. This means we can choose when we want to lash out, when we want to isolate, and when we want to give up.
When you’re feeling burned out, it’s easy to feel like you’re on your own. But it’s important to have people around you who inspire you to be your best and also who will provide feedback when you’re not being your best.
Make sure you have your support system in place before you get too stressed out, so you’re not scrambling to find people when you really need them. Have regular catch-ups with your work friends. A weekly breakfast or happy hour can be a good way to make sure you’re still on the same page and to see if any of your friends have any advice for you.