AstraZeneca’s vaccine for COVID is once again raising concerns, and the Italian government has taken a drastic measure after Camilla Canepa, a girl of 18 years old who received the jab, recently died from a rare form of blood clotting. Canepa was given the vaccine on May 25.
According to Reuters, the Italian government revealed that it was halting the use of the COVID vaccine developed by AstraZeneca for people under 60 years of age. Obviously, the death of Camilla Canepa caused a media and political outcry.
A different COVID vaccine for the second dose?
Francesco Figliuolo, who is Italy’s special COVID commissioner, said it very clear:
AstraZeneca will only be used for people over 60.
Franco Locatelli, who is the chief medical adviser of the government, said at a news conference that those people under the age of 60 who have been vaccinated with AstraZeneca’s jab should be given a different COVID vaccine for the second dose.
Italy is not the only country that stops giving the COVID vaccine developed by AstraZeneca to some people. Other European countries have done the same, forbidding the vaccine for people under a certain age.
Time.news reveals that the teenage girl Camilla Canepa died at the San Martino hospital from Genoa on June 10. She had been hospitalized there since June 5 for a cerebral haemorrhage. Camilla received the first dose of AstraZeneca’s vaccine in Genoa. The Prosecutor of Genoa has launched an investigation into the girl’s death.
According to Our World in Data, about 47% of those living in Italy have received at least one dose of a COVID vaccine. The same source reveals that about 23% of the European country’s population is fully vaccinated against the coronavirus.