Doctors Start Rethinking Prescribing Antipsychotics For Dementia Patients

Doctors Start Rethinking Prescribing Antipsychotics For Dementia Patients
SHARE

According to the latest reports, it seems that a new study is urging doctors to rethink prescribing antipsychotics for dementia patients; check out the latest reports about this below.

New study on antipsychotic medication

A recent study published in The BMJ has raised serious concerns about the use of antipsychotic medications to treat dementia patients.

According to the study, these medications, which are often prescribed to manage agitation and aggression in dementia patients, carry a high risk of severe health issues such as strokes, blood clots, heart attacks, heart failure, fractures, pneumonia, and acute kidney injury.

The study also reveals that these risks are most significant in the early stages of treatment.

According to a recent study, doctors should carefully consider the potential negative outcomes before prescribing antipsychotics, such as Haldol, Risperdal, and Seroquel, to patients suffering from dementia.

The research analyzed data collected over a period of two decades, covering 173,910 dementia patients who were aged 50 years or older. Out of these patients, 35,339 were prescribed antipsychotics. The study compared their medical records with those of patients who did not receive these medications.

The study examined 544,203 prescriptions for antipsychotic medication.

Out of these, 25.3% were for typical antipsychotics, which are older drugs with known neurological side effects. On the other hand, 74.7% were for atypical antipsychotics, which are preferred for their fewer side effects.

The most commonly prescribed drugs (risperidone, quetiapine, haloperidol, and olanzapine) made up almost 80% of all prescriptions.

According to data collected from doctors’ offices across England, individuals who start taking antipsychotic medication are at a higher risk of developing severe conditions such as pneumonia and strokes, particularly within the first week of treatment.

The study reveals that within the first three months of treatment, the risk of pneumonia in antipsychotic users is more than double compared to non-users.

Additionally, antipsychotic users have a 61 percent higher risk of stroke and a 43 percent increased risk of fractures compared to those who do not take these medications. It is also important to note the fact that antipsychotic users face a 72 percent increased risk of acute kidney injury and a 62 percent higher risk of venous thromboembolism, a serious blood clotting disorder.


SHARE
Rada Mateescu

Passionate about freedom, truth, humanity, and subjects from the science and health-related areas, Rada has been blogging for about ten years, and at Health Thoroughfare, she's covering the latest news on these niches.

Post Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.