Sinus infections lead to the inflammation of the tissue lining your sinuses and unfortunately, they are quite common so it’s safe to say that any good remedies that work are welcome when going through it.
Along with the inflammation, patients may also experience some pressure around the nose, throat and neck, but also fatigue, fever, mucus discharge, headaches, coughs, bad breath and pain in the teeth and ears.
As for what causes sinus infections, also known as Sinusitis, there are quite a few different reasons, including a deviated septum, the common cold, polyps, allergies and more, all of which can be especially common in immunocompromised people.
Another common factor that contributes to it is asthma.
Sinus infections are unfortunately not just common but also painful and uncomfortable, to say the least, having the capacity to affect your day to day life and productivity.
Because of this, if you are someone who experiences sinus infections often, it is good to know about all the different remedies out there in order to alleviate the pain and minimize the symptoms you may experience.
With that being said, a really effective but also accessible remedy that can do just that is tea!
As you may or may not be aware, some types of tea have properties that can indeed lessen or even heal sinus problems so don’t try to dismiss their healing effects!
Of course, it may be hard to find the ones that are especially good for sinus infections since not many brands mention that as part of their promotion.
This is why this article is here to teach you more about sinus infections and the best tea for them as well as provide you with a list of tea products you can order with just one click.
But first, does tea really clear sinuses and how does it work?
Tea has been used to treat sinus infections for a really long time so it’s been proven to be efficient against it.
However, if you want to ensure the best results, it’s recommended to drink tea along with other treatments!
This way, you may be able to finally get rid of that pesky, recurring sinus infection for good.
To speed up the recovery process, it is recommended to keep yourself hydrated so make sure to drink plenty of liquids in addition to the tea.
Naturally, water must always be at hand and soup is also a good idea.
All of these are able to hydrate the body, aiding it in naturally pushing out the sinus infection.
Another key factor in quick recovery is, of course, rest!
Make sure to get enough sleep but if you’re also dealing with some insomnia, you’ll be happy to know that tea can help with this as well!
What kind of beverages can clear your sinuses?
As mentioned previously, liquids are quite efficient in pushing out infection and this is because they are able to break down the mucus trapped in the tissue lining your sinus.
To jumpstart the healing process, drink as much water as you can.
If you’re not a big fan of water, however, you can make it more appealing by adding some lemon, ginger or even a dollop of honey.
These ingredients not only will make the water taste better but they might even quicken the healing since they have anti-inflammatory properties.
Drinking vegetable or chicken broth can also clear out your sinuses, improving your breathing in no time.
But of course, drinking tea, especially herbal tea, can accelerate the process even more.
At the end of the day, however, just like with any other illness, combing a number of different methods is what will help get rid of it the quickest.
All that being said, you should still start the healing process by contacting a doctor and only then, based on their advice, you can introduce some home remedies to lessen the symptoms as well.
Other natural sinus clearing methods:
Before we talk about sinus healing tea, let’s explore some other ways you can feel better when dealing with sinus infections. After all, as mentioned before, using a variety of solutions at the same time always seems to work better against sinus infections.
- Neti pots. These are irrigation machines that use saline solution to clear the sinuses from excessive mucus. As you flush your nose with the liquid, the pressure and the saline solution in itself, will clear out your airways so you can breathe better as you continue to heal.
- Humidifiers. Humidifiers are really good for minimizing inflammation and helping clear out your nasal cavity by simply improving the environment. The increased humidity in the air is able to simply break down the trapped mucus in your sinuses so you can breathe easier once more. Even better news, you can find humidifiers of many kinds in most big department stores as well as in pharmacies so they’re quite accessible and easy to find.
- Nasal spray. As you probably know, this is pretty much another saline solution you can inject directly into your nose. After doing that, you’ll hopefully notice how the mucus lining dissolves, unclogging your nasal passage and improving your breathing significantly.
A tip when using nasal spray is to always pay close attention to the ingredients used in the product and not all of them are equally as effective.
Of course, the most popular ingredients, and which have been used for hundreds of years with proven efficiency are eucalyptus and menthol.
- Menthol. Speaking of this miracle ingredient, you can also find it in other forms, such as the Vicks VapoRub brand that you can simply apply on your chest and nose to get the same healing properties as when using a nasal spray.
As you simply breathe in, the anti-inflammatory as well as the soothing effects will do their thing without any other effort from you.
- Spices. That’s right! Spicy food can also help heal your sinuses so if you are a fan of this type of cuisine, you’re in luck as you’ll be able to not only treat your sinus infection but also enjoy a delicious dish along with it, reaping double the benefits.
Of course, do not expect a bowl of spice-rich food to solve the problem permanently but it will definitely provide you with some temporary relief and that’s why adding some extra hot sauce in there is still something to consider.
- Garlic. Garlic has anti-inflammatory properties that will unclog your nasal cavity. In addition to that, it also contains a lot of Vitamin C that will contribute to re-energizing your body and push it to get rid of the infection faster and more efficiently. In fact, including garlic in your diet more regularly can even be a preventive measure for other infections, helping you avoid going through the struggle again in the near future.
- Apple cider vinegar. It’s no secret that apple cider vinegar has many health benefits, the ability to heal sinus infections being just one of them. The reason it works is that it is so acidic. The PH of apple cider vinegar is able to easily reduce all that trapped mucus, clearing your passageways by simply pushing out that pesky blockage.
Furthermore, it is yet another anti-inflammatory ingredient that will get rid of symptoms and minimize swelling.
- Chamomile tea. Yes, this is a tea but its sinus clearing properties are so well known that it deserves to be mentioned here as well just in case you were overlooking it. Chamomile has healing properties and will naturally relieve your nasal cavity as well as help you relax. A cup of chamomile tea will also reduce inflammation and help you fall asleep quicker and easier.
Oh, and if you’re dealing with a headache on top of it, which is often the case when suffering from a sinus infection, chamomile tea will most likely relieve that as well or at least reduce it.
All in all, sinus infections are definitely some of the most common and annoying health issues we all deal with, which is why it’s great to know how to effectively combat them when they unavoidably happen.
The nasal cavity gets clogged with a lot of mucus, affecting your breathing and adding pressure and even causing pain to the nose, ears, head and throat.
Other common symptoms that come with it are fevers, bad breath and fatigue, to mention just a few.
Thankfully, however, you now know plenty of naturally healing ways you can battle it.
Of course, this article focuses more on tea, especially since it can be difficult to know which ones are the best for sinus infections without proper knowledge about the ingredients since they are rarely promoted as such.
With that being said, to make things as easy as possible for you, here are some of the best herbal tea for sinus infections on the market!
They are featured in no particular order and come with useful information that will help you make the best choice for your unique situation.
When you’ve decided on one or more, you can simply click on the tea name and you’ll be able to order it on Amazon in a matter of seconds, making for a very convenient and hassle-free experience.
- AIP Diet Thyroid Tea Balance Support Herbal Blend
The first tea brand on our list is naturally caffeine-free so it will not interfere with your sleeping and instead, help you rest since it’s really important to do so when dealing with a sinus infection.
Furthermore, it is also organic, keto, whole30, plant based, paleo, vegan, autoimmune paleo, low FODMAP, non-GMO, gluten free and more, which means it’s suitable for pretty much everyone, no matter the diets they follow or the health issues they struggle with.
In fact, this brand of tea seeks to raise awareness for autoimmune and contributes with funding for autoimmune research, a part of the profits going to such organizations.
They even promise a complete refund if you are not happy with your purchase so you have nothing to lose if you decide to try out this tea for the first time.
The organic ingredients making this tea blend are: spearmint leaf, tulsi leaf, licorice root, dandelion leaf, cinnamon bark, eleuthero root powder and rose petals.
It comes in plastic free tea bags, all of which are made out of a biodegradable woven mesh known as NeoSoilon.
This material is actually made from the sugar cane plant and can be composted entirely in addition to being non-toxic and safe for humans and the environment.
- MagJo Naturals Dried Eucalyptus Leaves
This tea contains 1 pound of Eucalyptus globulus leaves, all of which have been cut to perfection as well as sifted.
The packaging is a high-quality kraft bag and in order to keep it fresh for longer, it is also foil-lined and resealable.
The eucalyptus leaves have been wild harvested, grown and processed naturally and can be used as part of healthy tea, oils tinctures and more.
- Celestial Seasonings Wellness Tea
This product features 20 tea bags of chamomile tea and promises to help soothe your sinuses in no time!
It contains a blend of stinging nettle, tulsi, mint and of course, chamomile.
It is gluten and caffeine free, allowing you to still get the rest you need to heal faster.
There are no artificial preservatives, flavors or colors.
All you need to do to get the perfect cup of chamomile tea is to steep a tea bag of Celestial Seasonings Wellness Tea in some hot water for 4 to 6 minutes!
- Traditional Medicinals Organic Breathe Easy Seasonal Tea
This brand of tea of kosher, non-GMO and caffeine free as well.
It promises to help your respiratory health so it’s ideal if you’re dealing with a sinus infection.
It contains high-quality, ethically sourced herbs.
As for the taste, it is minty, floral and has a hint of eucalyptus.
It comes in a case of no less than 6 boxes, each of them containing 16 tea bags of tea. This means that you’ll get no less than 96 tea bags!
- Lipton Tea Bags Peppermint
Last but not least, Lipton Peppermint is a tea containing lemongrass, peppermint and passion flower, ingredients that will help you relax and heal.
It is made with natural essential oils.