The Ketogenic diet is a high-fat, moderate protein and low-carb diet that is designed to put the body into a metabolic state called ketosis.
To be in ketosis, you have to eat very few carbs and a moderate amount of protein.
Health benefits of the keto diet include weight loss, blood sugar control, decreased risk of cardiovascular disease and improved mental clarity.
The Keto diet is also used by many athletes because they can use fat as an energy source.
There are some cons to the keto diet. These include bad breath and constipation because of all the fat you are eating.
Here are 11 pros and cons of the Keto Diet:
1. Weight loss: The keto diet allows your body to burn fats for energy instead of carbohydrates. This can help you lose weight because it gives your body more energy which makes you feel full longer. It will also lower your blood sugar levels and reduce your cravings for sweets.
2. Blood Sugar Control: The keto diet helps regulate insulin levels in the body which can help you keep your blood sugar more stable. This means less insulin spikes, which makes it easier to avoid things like diabetes or pre-diabetes.
That being said, it’s not for everyone. Here are a few cons to going keto:
1) Your body will be in ketosis, which is not an optimal state for human health. Ketosis is an extremely efficient way of turning fat into useable energy, but the by-products of that process are acidic and if not removed from our bodies can cause long-term health issues like cardiovascular disease or kidney stones.
2) You might not get enough fiber, because vegetables on keto tend to be lower in fiber than other vegetables. If you’re not getting enough fiber you can develop digestive problems like constipation or bloat (I get this second one all the time).
3) You might feel tired at first. It takes about a month for your body to adjust to burning fat instead of sugar for fuel. This means you’ll probably be eating more fat than you’re used to and most people aren’t good at metabolizing fat so they may feel sluggish as they adjust.