The lettuce (Lactuca sativa) is typical of semi-temperate regions and thanks to its many varieties that exist and to its greenhouse adaptability, you can consume it throughout the year. Normally it is consumed raw, as an ingredient in salads and other dishes but certain varieties, especially those of Chinese origin, have a more robust texture and therefore they need to be cooked.
Lettuce’s leaves have very few calories since about 100 grams of vegetables provide approximately 15 calories, therefore, the lettuce is highly recommended in weight loss diets.
Besides, the lettuce is rich in phytonutrients, which provide beneficial properties for health and prevent the onset of diseases.
Here are the health benefits of lettuce for your body
Lettuce has some important health benefits which have been shown in recent studies.
- Improves the respiratory system – For people with respiratory problems such as asthma, bronchitis, and cough, consuming lettuce juice can help reduce symptoms;
- Lettuce heals eye problems – For tired eyes and conjunctivitis we can apply lettuce in the form of eye drops that we can prepare using lettuce juice;
- Fight insomnia – Consuming lettuce helps calm the nervous system, so it fights insomnia. Consuming a glass of lettuce juice will help us sleep better.
- Heals burns -.Applying lettuce juice on the burned skin will speed up healing of the affected area;
- Improve premenstrual pain – Consuming lettuce helps reduce premenstrual pain. For this cure to take effect, it is recommended to prepare infusions of lettuce;
- Decrease cholesterol – Consuming lettuce often helps lower blood cholesterol levels;
- Improves circulation – Lettuce improves the circulation of the blood in the body, so it prevents diseases such as arteriosclerosis, stroke, myocardial infarction, clot formation, and heart attacks;
- Lettuce is recommended for diabetics – Consuming lettuce reduces blood sugar levels thanks to its great diuretic power. To make it more effective we can drink lettuce juices;
These being said, lettuce has many health benefits for your body, so it must not miss from your daily diet. Besides, it’s tasty and light, thus, you can enjoy eating lettuce as much as you want because it will not get you fatter but, on the contrary, it will help you lose weight.