Eating habits are what make or break a diet. If you’re not making smart choices throughout the day, it’s impossible to lose weight.
If you’re looking for a way to make your diet more sustainable, it’s important to develop a few healthy habits that you can use for the long term.
Here are eight essential eating habits for faster weight loss:
- Eat breakfast every day. Breakfast is one of the most important meals of the day because it helps kickstart your metabolism and helps you feel energized throughout the morning.
- Don’t skip meals. Skipping meals can cause your body to store fat instead of burning it off. It also messes with your blood sugar levels and makes it harder to lose weight in general.
- Eat protein at every meal and snack. Protein helps suppress hunger hormones like ghrelin and keeps you feeling full longer than other foods. In fact, eating high-protein meals has been shown to decrease calorie intake by 15% over three days compared to low-protein meals.
- Get plenty of fiber each day from fruits, vegetables, legumes and whole grains. Fiber helps keep you full since it takes longer for your body to digest than other nutrients.
- Drink water instead of soda or other sugary drinks. Sugary drinks like soda contain lots of calories but no nutrition at all—just empty calories that pack on pounds quickly! Instead of drinking sodas or juices try drinking water or unsweetened tea instead which not only contains fewer calories but also promotes healthy digestion .
- Eat breakfast within an hour of waking up. Not only will this help prevent binging later in the day, but it will also keep blood sugar levels stable throughout the day.
- Eat slowly, and chew each bite thoroughly — at least 20 times per mouthful! This helps you digest food better and prevents overeating by causing stomach distension (fullness).
- Drink a glass of water before each meal. This will help you take in fewer calories by making you feel fuller faster.