If you want to get rid of some extra pounds, you most probably heard of intermittent fasting and read many articles about it. While opinions on this regime are contradictory, a new study established that the intermittent fasting might be the best for weight loss but only when combined with a low-calorie diet.
What’s for sure is that intermittent fasting has many benefits for human health, such as increased longevity and a reduced risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart conditions, or cancer.
There are many types of intermittent fasting, including the so-called 24-hour fasting, alternate-day fasting, and so on. However, the results of the Effects of Periodic Fasting Versus Daily Energy Restriction on Metabolic Health (PREFER) study revealed that overweight people who fasted three days a week and followed a low-calorie diet lost more weight than those who only fasted or ate according to a low-calorie regime.
Intermittent Fasting, When Combined With A Low-Calorie Diet, Is The Best For Weight Loss
“Obese women who followed a diet in which they ate 70% of their required energy intake and fasted intermittently lost the most weight,” said Amy T. Hutchison, a researcher at the Adelaide Medical School of the University of Adelaide, in Australia, and the new study’s leading author.
The researchers revealed that intermittent fasting could increase its benefits on human health and in reducing weight when combined with a low-calorie diet. For excellent intermittent fasting, here are some tips for beginners:
- Drink a lot of water or herbal teas which are low-calorie drinks;
- Do light physical exercises or Yoga during fasting days;
- Walk in the park, read, or focus on whatever you like to avoid eating while fasting;
- Eat low-calorie foods rich in protein, fiber, and healthy fats;
- When you’re not fasting, also focus on whole foods, such as fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins, antioxidants, and other essential nutrients;