Aging is one of the most common reasons people gain weight. As we age, metabolism slows down. Muscle mass declines and fat accumulates, particularly around the abdomen. Fortunately, there are ways to jumpstart weight loss at any age.
You can significantly increase your chances of reaching your goal weight by making a few simple lifestyle changes. Here are some easy ways to jumpstart your weight loss goals after 50:
- Eat mindfully. Eating should be an enjoyable experience. Don’t eat while watching TV or driving in your car. Focus on what you’re eating and how it makes you feel.
- Eat more protein. Protein helps build muscle and shed fat, so it’s important to eat enough of it. If you’re trying to lose weight, aim for 0.5-0.8 grams of protein per pound of your body weight each day.
- Walk more. Walking is said to be one of the best ways to lose weight because it’s easy on your joints, burns lots of calories and doesn’t require expensive equipment or a gym membership. You should aim for at least 30 minutes of walking a day, but increasing that amount is even bet
- Choose one meal a day and upgrade it nutritionally. If breakfast tends to be the easiest meal for you to make healthier, then start with that. Load up on protein and fiber by adding an egg and some veggies (or fruit) to your morning smoothie. Or if lunch is easier for you, pack something fresh instead of hitting the deli counter at work every day. Choose foods that leave you feeling satiated rather than stuffed and sleepy afterwards.
- Start tracking your food or calories. You don’t have to go crazy counting calories or weights grams of fat, but taking the time to track what you eat is a helpful way of getting more aware of how much you’re actually consuming.