As we approach the new year, wellness trends come and go, but making a change in your lifestyle is an ongoing endeavor. “Healthy” and “diet” often go together, but there are ways to eat well without depriving yourself. Here are five tips for a happy and healthy 2022:
- Get a sense of satisfaction from food. Instead of focusing on what you’re eating — and how much — learn to focus on the experience of eating itself. Enjoy each bite and savor the flavors. Practicing mindful eating can help you control your portions without feeling deprived or guilty about food choices.
- Eat a rainbow. Aim for a variety of colors in your diet — not just when it comes to fruits and veggies but also grains and meats. We know that different color foods contain different vitamins and minerals. For example, dark green leafy veggies are a good source of vitamin K while red foods like beets contain betaine, which can help lower cholesterol. Some research has also shown that eating a rainbow of fruits and veggies (think blueberries, strawberries, blackberries) can help with weight loss by reducing hunger.
- Make better choices. When you’re in the grocery store, don’t walk down the snack aisle. Don’t go looking for treats and snacks to eat. If you didn’t plan it, then it won’t happen. Make healthful choices and only buy healthy foods.
- Don’t skip meals. You might think that skipping meals and eating less often will help you lose weight faster, but it’s actually not good for you. It can have negative effects on your energy level and metabolism, which means fewer calories burned overall and a higher risk for heart disease and diabetes.
- Add superfoods to your diet. This includes foods that contain omega-3 fats, plant compounds called phytochemicals, and antioxidants — all known for their ability to reduce inflammation, promote heart health and improve digestion and circulation.