The situation in Alberta looks to be pretty tricky, with a recent E. coli outbreak on their hands. If a couple of days ago we saw that romaine lettuce was infected with E. coli back in Alaska, today we get to talk about how this virus wormed its way into Alberta as well, this time with a bigger impact.
Unfortunately, one person died from eating pork meat that was contaminated with E. coli and 36 other are now ill from eating it. Alberta Health Services managed to track down the infected meat back to the Meat Shop in Pine Heaven that was operate by the colony in Pine Haven Hutterite.
AHS decided to issue a recall of all pork meat, ranging from sausages containing prok meat, ham, ground pork and other products that include pork meat, while the investigation was going on in order to find all the places where these particular infected pork products were distributed.
When it came to the people that got ill, eleven of them needed medical cae while the rest got better on their own. The person that died is suspected to have been infected with the E.coli 0157:H7. The symptoms of this strain are diarrhea, in rather unlucky cases we may even be talking about bloody diarrhea, and perhaps one of the worst symptoms that this strain could have is the hemolytic uremic syndrome, which usually manifests itself quite similarly to a kidney failure.
If you live in Alberta and either you or someone you know starts to experience any of the symptoms that we have just told you about then we highly suggest that you call out the provincial Health Link service or even a doctor so that you can signal out that you may have been exposed to this virus.